Translate

Pages

Saturday 9 May 2020

A total Skrub's guide to Pokemon - Descriptions

This was originally part of a much longer post, but it was getting wayyy too long and I think it deserves it's own. You might have seen those descriptions of pokemon teams lying around the internet and wondered what it all meant, well hopefully, I'm here to let it all make sense to you.

Let's start with my favourite:

Neeli (Azumarill) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Belly Drum
- Protect
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough

This is the latest build of Azumarill I've used, although certainly not the best nor most viable, It's just newer.

I almost always give my Pokemon nicknames, It's not a necessity but I like to be special. When you give a Pokemon a nickname it gets written down first, with the species in brackets, otherwise, it'd just look like this:


Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry

And speaking of the top line, the "@ ______" just shows you what item the pokemon is holding, with my Azu holding a Sitrus Berry. Held Items are incredibly important to Pokemon battling, but I wouldn't worry myself over it too much at this stage. If I really am at a loss for an item, I just bung an HP recovery item on it - Which is what a Sitrus Berry is but nothing "bunged" on about that, trust me!

The next line is pretty self-explanatory, it tells you the Pokemon's ability, which in this case is also self-explanatory; Azumarill's power gets increased by a Huge amount, hah. It's the ones after that that can seem daunting to newcomers. Let me start with the EVs first, because it just makes more sense like that.

EVs (or Effort Values) are individual points that you can invest into a pokemon's stats. It's actually a pretty basic RPG system, in that you have a maximum of 508 EVs, and you pour them into any one of:

However, there is a kicker. You can't just dump all 508 points into Attack and create a horrific beast of a cannon. Nope, you can only add 252 per stat. If you're a skrub like me, I add 252 to the highest and second highest stat, and with the 4 that's left over, I add it to any stat I want to. It's a basic but effective starting point, and I still use it to this day. You'll notice I didn't have 252 HP, but I'll get on that later.

Next is the Nature, which ties into your stats. All natures except 5 affect your stats in some way, you can use this to give you a little extra boost in whatever you're looking for, but be warned, they do come with a drawback. To get something, you have to give a little, and so with my naughty nature, I sacrificed a little bit of Special Defense to gain some more sweet, sweet Attack. 

And finally, your moveset. The four lines right at the end show what moves you've picked, and you can only pick 4.

Now, we get to the fun part, dissecting Azumarill.........'s moveset.

No comments:

Post a Comment